The health food trend seems to have died down, just a bit at least. The likes of Deliciously Ella and Hemsley Hemsley diversifing their offering into something other than just ‘water and air’ food things. Yet when I recently stumbled upon one of these recipes, I thought it actually sounded quite appetising and decided to give it a go, of course, modifying some of the ingredients as my usual. I pimped it up with cocoa nibs fo example but did draw the line at the dollop of chia jam (seriously, is there such a thing). This recipe joins a few more I have attempted in the past, and I realise they are mostly variations on a similar theme: keep up with some form of taste quest?
The result was ok, infact quite good and enjoable. Of course, with anything ‘healthy’, if you added just butter, sugar, cream it would be perfect. Still, why not enjoy a bit of a guilt free treat? It did come out moist, not too sweet and with a very pleasant texture, smooth with crunch added by the nuts and the nibs.
Below my version of Coconut Banana Bread.
- 3 ripe bananas
- 100gr coconut flour
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3 free range eggs
- 30gr cashew nut butter, smooth
- 30gr coconut oil chocolate spread
- a dash of vanilla
- 1.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1tbsp date syrup
- A handful of hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp cocoa nibs
- Mash up the ripe bananas in a blender for a very smooth, creamy consistency. In a medium size bowl, mix the coconut flour, the cinnamon, the salt, the butter, the spread, the eggs, then add the bananas. Add the bicarbonate, the syrup and the hazelnuts and the cocoa nibs. At the very end add the vinegar and mix well. Place the mix in a a loaf tin or silicone loaf tray, sprinkling the top with some reserved cocoa nibs and a bit of date syrup.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven (fan, 180c) or about 50 minutes. Enjoy warm or toasted the following couple of days with more of the cashew nut spread or any spread you like!